Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
asian supermarket corp.
(08-17-2009, 08:23 AM)EndofWorld Wrote: What kind of furikake do people normally buy. I've read tons of stuff on it but I don't know which one I would like. Not to mention I always get to the store and forget what its the one I'd like to buy is called -___-

Well, the easy solution to the latter is a shopping list XD
I like katsuobushi and salmon.
Personally, I avoid Umeboshi, since it's sour.
Chrono: well i did go! we found the mochiko in isle 3 and katakuriko in isle 2, but we didn't find the kinako.....
and yes i do know hiragana! i don't know kanji..... T-T

but i don't feel bad, because the lady i asked at the store had no clue were it was!!! she even found the katakuriko by accident!
:frog:
WHAT?! You found mochiko there?!
Well, if you found karakuriko, the kinako is literally right next to it :o
Going to the market tonight with my hubby to check it out for the first time. I'm super psyched about it since I haven't been to any of the markets in months.

I plan to get some manju and wontons. Not sure what else.

What do you guys normally stock up on when you go??
"A marvelous planitarium, don't you think? With it, I can project fairytale illusions onto the walls and show the innocent their dreams. A shadow play for those who desperately wish for something eternal, for the power of miracles... but no place exists above this room."
~Akio
I get a lot of stuff, but at Asian Super Market I get:
Curry, mabodofu, daifuku mochi, tonkatsu sauce, black sesame ice cream bars, lychee sorbet, ice pops, melon soda, udon, rice, pucca, kewpie, yakisoba sauce, okonomiyaki sauce, sushihane, katsuobushi... I'm probably forgetting something too :3
So we went but I had to call someone because I forgot to write down the address.

Its like a mecha, I wonder if Kim's and Lee's will stay in business. The atmosphere was okay but it just didn't feel like an asian market which is half the fun of it. The one thing I didn't miss was the smell you normally get.

My husband started to get annoyed because I wanted to look at everything, it was almost 7pm and he was starving.

I took your advice DJ and made a grocery list and then promptly left it in my car -__-

I end up getting some "dumplings". I've never seen half an isles worth of freezer case devoted just to dumplings...

Also got some glutonious rice flour, more udon noodles, seasame daifuku, gomashio furikake, oyster sauce, and some mixed vegetables my husband wanted o_0.

I was really disapointed that I could not find anko in a bag, my frozen manju, or the gummy candy in mango flavor. =(

Somethings I want to get and try next time are the black seasame ice cream bars, curry, and the takoyaki.

Either way I've got mixed feelings about the store. I love that its got tons of stuff, not over crowded, most items are labled in english for those of us who can't read and most of all it doesn't stink! The things I didn't like were its lost that asian market atmosphere and I'm afraid it might just put Kim's and Lee's out of business.

DJ what kind of curry do you make or buy? I've never had curry ever even though I own curry powder. I just don't know how to use it or make it.
"A marvelous planitarium, don't you think? With it, I can project fairytale illusions onto the walls and show the innocent their dreams. A shadow play for those who desperately wish for something eternal, for the power of miracles... but no place exists above this room."
~Akio
Haha, sounds like my first time there.
I spent so much time on each isle such that my roommates had already checked out and were waiting outside, and I was still inside trying to look at everything!

Why do you need anko in a bag?
Doesn't it normally come canned?

And why frozen manju? I know they have ice cream daifuku, and fresh as well.

I'm surprised about the mango gummies -- I"m pretty sure Lee's or Kim's has it.

And did you see takoyaki?!

As for curry, I get the block curry.
Essentially, it's a block of curry which has been coagulated with lard.
Basically, you'll boil up some water, vegies and meat, and then at the end you dissolve the curry blocks into it and you're done!
Here's what it looks like (out of the box): http://www.kqed.org/assets/img/food/bab/...706677.jpg
To be honest since my first trip to a china town in Boston I've been obsessed with red bean manju and the only way I know of to get them is frozen. I normally buy them at kim's. I thought I might have a go at making them but was too lazy to spend hours making the anko and if I could get it in a bag it would be easy to pipe right into the dough. I did see lots of canned red beans but none actually said they were anko paste just beans to make paste...

I was really disapointed about the gummies. I REALLY wanted them! I will probably go to the market in latham and see if I can get what I want since I work in Latham.

I didn't get a chance to really look at a lot of the stuff in freezer cases ie. takoyaki because my husband was not quite as interested as I was...

I will definately have to look into the curry next time. I almost bought a box and then didn't =(

Next time I go, I will definately go by myself or with someone who's more interested so I can take my time looking. I didn't even check out their tea, rice, ramen, or fresh items like produce and fish. I glanced at the bakery but not for long. Just long enough to see those butter Hot dog rolls I LOVE! <3 The day I learn to make the dough for those hot dog thingies I will be in heaven. That and the manju.
~Akio
I'm pretty sure they have standard daifuku mochi (which is essentially a red bean manjuu) in the fresh refridgerated area (opposite the freezers). As in not frozen. I'll have to look through the cans next time I'm there for anko paste.

So does that mean you're not sure if they have takoyaki? :o
Yeah I did see the fresh mochi, wasn't sure about it since I've never seen it that way. As for the takoyaki to be honest I don't know because I didn't have time to look. I guess I need to start making another list for next time I go >.<
~Akio