Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet peeves
So I was wondering what are everyone's pet peeves about cosplay?

Mine are :
  • Not binding when crossplaying
  • Wearing to much makeup when crossplaying
  • Elitists
  • Buying costumes then entering them into competition
  • Having someone else make it and take all the credit.
“Wishing for tomorrow... my soul shatters. My pride is broken. My wing is broken. I am no longer able to fly...”
I'm assuming you're talking about when other people cosplay.

(02-04-2009, 04:54 PM)Tohmasuke Wrote:
  • Not binding when crossplaying
  • Wearing to much makeup when crossplaying
I don't have a problem with those. Generally, I'm happy if people cosplay. If they choose to be a perfectionist, it makes it that much cooler, but cosplay is first about having fun Smile

What do you mean by "elitist"?

(02-04-2009, 04:54 PM)Tohmasuke Wrote:
  • Buying costumes then entering them into competition
  • Having someone else make it and take all the credit.
I agree XD

Probably my #1 pet peeve about other people cosplaying is when I ask who they are, and they're horribly appalled that they don't know already. They say something like "How could you not know the 5th form of this character?!". I've made the mistake of guessing as well. That goes even worse Sad I just want to know who the character is Big Grin
(02-04-2009, 08:55 PM)chrono Wrote: Probably my #1 pet peeve about other people cosplaying is when I ask who they are, and they're horribly appalled that they don't know already. They say something like "How could you not know the 5th form of this character?!". I've made the mistake of guessing as well. That goes even worse Sad I just want to know who the character is Big Grin
I totally agree, Like I don't think anyone will know I am Baiken from Guilty Gear, not everyone has played that game.

(02-04-2009, 08:55 PM)chrono Wrote: What do you mean by "elitist"?

Like people who will knit pick every piece of your costume and put you down because , this isn't accurate or this wasn't made well. Things like that, cause it's so rude. That person put all that work into it, it's not right to bring them down . Undecided
“Wishing for tomorrow... my soul shatters. My pride is broken. My wing is broken. I am no longer able to fly...”
CHINA COSTUMES
THEY'RE EXACTLY LIKE THE HALLOWEEN COSTUMES YOU BUY FROM THE STORES ONLY 3 TIMES AS MUCH.
Sorry, this is a HUGE peeve of mine. If you know me well, you know this already. I'm sorry, maybe I'm just old fashioned and see it as a big hobby of mine.
I just hate seeing people blow hundreds of dollars on a poorly made costume, just so they can run around and pretend to be the character. Then the costume is either thrown in their closet and forgotten or it falls apart easily. IF YOU LOVE THE CHARACTER/SERIES, THEN SHOW IT. Try at making the costume, or buy store clothes and alter them. That's how I started! Sewing isn't that hard at all! Plus it's tons of fun and more rewarding! And I GUARANTEE you will save most of that $200 on the Sora costume if you made it yourself. Most of my costumes cost less than $100, even under $50 depending on how simple it is!
Although I can't tell you how much blood, sweat, and tears have gone into so many of my costumes... But that's the sheer fun of it!! XD
But if you're gonna waste all that money on something so crappy, then that shows you really don't care for the hobby.

That all prolly sounded a bit too harsh, but it's how I really feel...

On a lighter note, elitists also piss me off. You're not better than us, you're just as much as a geek for cosplaying too. XD Same with the whole 'my mommy made my costume, but I'm gonna tell everyone I did so I get more popular.'

Also, 1 non cosplay peeve.... Doll Elitists piss me off too..... 'Nough said... XD
[Image: nivjanmd34prdon0.png]
(02-05-2009, 05:22 AM)Tohmasuke Wrote: Like people who will knit pick every piece of your costume and put you down because , this isn't accurate or this wasn't made well. Things like that, cause it's so rude. That person put all that work into it, it's not right to bring them down . Undecided
Okay, yeah, that's not cool Sad
(02-05-2009, 10:51 AM)Binah Wrote: CHINA COSTUMES

Indeed I don't agree with them but I also know a lot of people who really don't have the time or machinery (sewing machines lol) to alter a costume. Jungmoo has purchased a few costumes because college eats up almost every single minute of her life, it's more as a "Oh hey I want to go to a cosplay event so I'll just pull out so and so" . I don't appreciate when they buy the costume and say they made it, if they alter it a lot then that is different , but if you didn't make it don't lie about it.

I am also guilty of the china costumes , it was a gown that was well worth the money. At the time I also didn't have the skills nor money to make something so elaborate. When people asked me how long it took me to make I did tell them I purchased it :3. ( I did feel guilty though and from then on made sure most of my costume was made).

sry if this makes no sense I got back from NYCC and I'm kinda out of it.
I think my personal peeve is people who think Vash's coat is made of leather. It's supposed to be WOOL, people! Or really close to it! I just wasn't about to spend $20 a yard!
[Image: 6874000.png][Image: 6874002.png]
(02-10-2009, 11:07 AM)Flipkat Wrote: I think my personal peeve is people who think Vash's coat is made of leather. It's supposed to be WOOL, people! Or really close to it! I just wasn't about to spend $20 a yard!

Yeah I think I saw one make it out of leather and it came out pretty epic! I think it may have been the kind of leather he used but it was awesome. Other than that it doesn't look like it would be made of leather.
my pet peeves

Tight fitting pants and missing props
The Sub Atomic Rookie of the UNY cosplay Family

Watch me bust some moves! Henshin A Go Go Baby!

Just Frank

Henshin A go go Maybe

Gene Starwind-99% (omg i need a F-ing caster gun!)

Akira Fudo from the 1972 Devilman series - 100%

Bart from Fist of the North Star- 0%

Ichiro from kikaider-0%
uuuggghhhhaskl djaks Tight fitting pants on dudes to be exact..at least for me...sometimes they can be tight in the WRONG PLACES and make everyone feel uncomfortable.

Missing props , I don't mind so much. Sometimes the costume can get so expensive and time consuming I really don't blame people for missing the props...unless it's vital to the costume, I don't mind.