Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewing
Does anyone know of places that offer sewing classes, tips techniques besides Joann's and don't cost a fortune. I'm a visual learner and would like to go someplace in person. I've tried learning from Youtube with little success.
"A marvelous planitarium, don't you think? With it, I can project fairytale illusions onto the walls and show the innocent their dreams. A shadow play for those who desperately wish for something eternal, for the power of miracles... but no place exists above this room."
~Akio
Traditionally, the club has had tutorial sessions in the past -- Maybe we'd want to consider this?
(08-18-2009, 05:32 PM)EndofWorld Wrote: Does anyone know of places that offer sewing classes, tips techniques besides Joann's and don't cost a fortune. I'm a visual learner and would like to go someplace in person. I've tried learning from Youtube with little success.

What in particular would you like to learn? I might be able to help.
Maybe we should hold a workshop in the near future?
Some things that I would like to learn are finding the grain of your fabric. How to read patterns, terminology etc., and maybe something about how different types of fabric work. I mostly care about learning to read patterns.
"A marvelous planitarium, don't you think? With it, I can project fairytale illusions onto the walls and show the innocent their dreams. A shadow play for those who desperately wish for something eternal, for the power of miracles... but no place exists above this room."
~Akio
I can totally attempt a workshop for pattern sewing if we want to do that.

We could probably hold it some Saturday afternoon at the church.
[Image: 2174355.png] [Image: 4017688.png]
(08-30-2009, 05:02 PM)EndofWorld Wrote: Some things that I would like to learn are finding the grain of your fabric. How to read patterns, terminology etc., and maybe something about how different types of fabric work. I mostly care about learning to read patterns.

Well, I'd be happy to show you. When are you free?
(09-01-2009, 11:38 AM)Replica_Heart Wrote:
(08-30-2009, 05:02 PM)EndofWorld Wrote: Some things that I would like to learn are finding the grain of your fabric. How to read patterns, terminology etc., and maybe something about how different types of fabric work. I mostly care about learning to read patterns.

I'm normally free M-F after 5pm and weekends depending on whether my husband and I have plans. I live in Clifton Park and work in Latham.

Before I do anything I need to get my machine fixed since the tension just went screwy this past weekend. I'm also going to begin a 6 week quilting class in a few weeks so I need to get my machine fixed by then. The classes will be Thursday nights so I won't be free.

I can always do Wednesday nights or meetings. I'll be at September's meeting. I know people are planning to karaoke and maid cafe but I plan on being a regular going forward so meetings would work. Also, depending on when it is I don't mind driving as long as its not more than 30 minutes or so away. I don't really want to drive an hour.
~Akio
(09-01-2009, 01:39 PM)EndofWorld Wrote:
(09-01-2009, 11:38 AM)Replica_Heart Wrote:

I'm normally free M-F after 5pm and weekends depending on whether my husband and I have plans. I live in Clifton Park and work in Latham.

Before I do anything I need to get my machine fixed since the tension just went screwy this past weekend. I'm also going to begin a 6 week quilting class in a few weeks so I need to get my machine fixed by then. The classes will be Thursday nights so I won't be free.

I can always do Wednesday nights or meetings. I'll be at September's meeting. I know people are planning to karaoke and maid cafe but I plan on being a regular going forward so meetings would work. Also, depending on when it is I don't mind driving as long as its not more than 30 minutes or so away. I don't really want to drive an hour.

I could come early to the meeting or stay after, if you'd like.