Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet peeves
I'm with people on the bought costumes. I searched DA for other Ezio costumes, and the amount of bought ones made me so sad >___< I put so much time effort and money into mine, and some people don't... deny they bought it, but they don't outright say it either, which annoys me :\ I can understand not having the time/money/skills, but I'm all about homemade costumes!

I'm also kind of annoyed by people who wear costumes that don't suit them. And I don't mean this in a mean way, but like, for example, I know I could never pull off Yoko's costume or someone like that, I think half of a good cosplay is, even if you don't look that much like the character, wearing a costume that still looks good on you!
Edmond Dantes (Gankutsuou): 30%
Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII): 98%
Nino (Arakawa Under the Bridge): 50%
(01-03-2010, 07:19 PM)Maxxie Wrote: I'm also kind of annoyed by people who wear costumes that don't suit them. And I don't mean this in a mean way, but like, for example, I know I could never pull off Yoko's costume or someone like that, I think half of a good cosplay is, even if you don't look that much like the character, wearing a costume that still looks good on you!

I totally agree with you, it pisses me right off when I see someone who resembles a freight train and they try to cosplay Misty from Pokemon -__-; Maybe I'm an asshole but I certainly think that there are certain cosplays that flatter people immensely and there are certain cosplays that would never work for a person.

As for me, I have a giant list of pet peeves that are far too long to list and most of them have already been listed XD. The one I haven't seen yet is cosplaying OCs. I CAN'T STAND IT -.- Maybe I'm being a meanie but I don't like it one bit. Sure the costume may be well done and looks great but its just a personal preference <.<;
(01-04-2010, 05:55 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: I totally agree with you, it pisses me right off when I see someone who resembles a freight train and they try to cosplay Misty from Pokemon -__-; Maybe I'm an asshole but I certainly think that there are certain cosplays that flatter people immensely and there are certain cosplays that would never work for a person.

As for me, I have a giant list of pet peeves that are far too long to list and most of them have already been listed XD. The one I haven't seen yet is cosplaying OCs. I CAN'T STAND IT -.- Maybe I'm being a meanie but I don't like it one bit. Sure the costume may be well done and looks great but its just a personal preference <.<;

Nah, I don't really find that mean, one year at genericon I saw a girl cosplaying Yuna and it was just really unflattering and I just don't get why people would do that to themselves! I'm far to self conscious to ever wear a costume like that, and if I don't wanna look at it, why would I make other people?

And the cosplaying an OC thing would be odd... O__o; If you wanna do it on your own time, fine, but at cons no one would recognize you! And that's not really the point of them :\
Edmond Dantes (Gankutsuou): 30%
Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII): 98%
Nino (Arakawa Under the Bridge): 50%
(01-04-2010, 05:55 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: As for me, I have a giant list of pet peeves that are far too long to list and most of them have already been listed XD. The one I haven't seen yet is cosplaying OCs. I CAN'T STAND IT -.- Maybe I'm being a meanie but I don't like it one bit. Sure the costume may be well done and looks great but its just a personal preference <.<;

Ahaha! I will be cosplaying an OC at Genericon!
(01-04-2010, 06:58 PM)Shinobihime Wrote:
(01-04-2010, 05:55 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: As for me, I have a giant list of pet peeves that are far too long to list and most of them have already been listed XD. The one I haven't seen yet is cosplaying OCs. I CAN'T STAND IT -.- Maybe I'm being a meanie but I don't like it one bit. Sure the costume may be well done and looks great but its just a personal preference <.<;

I know! I know! If you like it, its fine
I honestly don't mind if you're doing an OC costume because you have something to promote, or perhaps this is the character that you play from a MMORPG. It rubs me the wrong way when they are like, "this is my vampire the masquerade character, and I want to enter them into the cosplay competition...", then get all mad when they are told they can't.

My pet peeves, which I thought I had posted here, would be people that buy their costume, doesn't matter where/from who, then try to pass it off as having made it themselves. I have no respect for people that blatantly lie about that. If it's all stuff you bought from a thrift store, say that's how you put it together. No one that matters is going to care.

On the same note, people that enter in a competition, like that Ceil at Connection '09, that buy their costume then get Best in Show. How do you think you can even ENTER the cosplay competition?! You didn't make it, don't take the credit for it!

Conventions that have judges that don't know ANYTHING about cosplay or sewing shouldn't be judges. At the very least, give them written guidelines to what makes a good costume. Fill out an actual judges form that looks for things like craftsmanship...How about LOOKING at the costume up close and asking the entrants questions about it.

I think I'm getting off subject...I'm going to stop there.
[Image: 2174355.png] [Image: 4017688.png]
I've already stated what I like and dislike, OC characters I don't mind a lot . They are something though I would wear on my own time kinda thing, just because it's my preference. That or I would wear it as a super late night costume or something on sunday.
“Wishing for tomorrow... my soul shatters. My pride is broken. My wing is broken. I am no longer able to fly...”
(01-04-2010, 07:36 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote:
(01-04-2010, 06:58 PM)Shinobihime Wrote:

I know! I know! If you like it, its fine

:awesome: I know you know I'm messing with you. XD
I also think there is a big difference between how in-depth the OC costume is. I've seen gorgeous costumes that call themselves "original designs" to distinguish themselves from the trappings of being considered an "OC". A gorgeous, unique design is different from putting on a pair of cat ears.